History of the School
The present Cliffoney National School was built in 1914. Pre-1914 there were two schools in Cliffoney built by Henry John Temple, later Lord Palmerston, and British Prime Minister. Cliffoney Boys’ school was on the site where Cliffoney Hall now stands while Cliffoney Girls’ school was upstairs in what is now the McArthur home opposite the present Cliffoney National School. Initially these two schools were boycotted by the Parish priest until Catholic teachers were appointed.
Cliffoney National School was built as a replacement for these two schools. Although it was a four-roomed mixed school, there were no mixed classes. Master McHugh was the first Principal.
In 1972, Mullaghmore School closed and its thirteen pupils transferred to Cliffoney National School. Cliffoney National School was renovated in the 1970’s
In 1991, the wooden partition which divided the boys and girls was finally removed. The school was also extended in this year. The school also acquired the field behind the health centre which has been a major asset to the school and now provides a wonderful football pitch and area for an organic garden for the current pupils. The school uniform was introduced in the late nineties.
In 2007 there was major refurbishment and modernisation of the old part of the school and the addition of two new state of the art classrooms and a staffroom.
In 2014, the school celebrated its Centenary over a weekend in October 2014. President Higgins attended the celebrations and the school hosted an exhibition and display of photos and memorabilia.